Wednesday 27 January 2010

Brothers Water

After viewing a house today I went down to Brothers Water as the sun was out, and I knew there was a Dipper to be photographed. A week ago I was down at Brothers Water, as I walked the wooded bank I heard a call I was unfamiliar with, scanning the shore I found a Dipper, it allowed me to get within 5 metres sitting on the bank. As I watched it began to fly out, 10-15m into the open water, swim on the surface as would a duck, then dive for 4-6 seconds, it repeated this 4-5 times catching small fish almost every time, returning to shore every now again with a larger fish. It hunted like this for 15 minutes before it moved on, I had never seen this behaviour before.

The plan today was to go and take some pictures of this, but the light wasn't in my favour, neither was the Dippers chosen perch, it was using the northern shore. I continued on my circular route, little showed except for a few Blue Tits, and a lone Raven. Once the eastern side was reached I scanned the water to find 8 Tufted Duck, 1 Little Grebe, 1 Drake Goldeneye, and 1 Drake Goosander .

No comments:

Post a Comment